Under the leadership of Pascale Lehoux, In Fieri is a 7-year research program that obtained funding through the highly competitive Foundation Scheme of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). While the scholarship on Responsible Research & Innovation (RRI) is growing rapidly in Europe, In Fieri develops Responsible Innovation in Health (RIH). Our work examines how alternative business models, hybrid organizational forms such as social enterprises and social finance support the emergence, commercialization and institutionalization of RIH. The common thread across our 3 research streams is an emphasis on the creation of solutions that contribute to the common good healthcare systems embody.
A. The design of RIH
- To clarify what RIH is and what it is not, considering system-level needs and challenges;
- To elicit with clinical leaders, designers, engineers and technology developers the processes and products of RIH;
- To analyse how patients, caregivers, clinicians and healthcare managers may participate to the co-design of RIH;
B. The emergence and contribution of RIH
- To elicit the way alternative business models, social entrepreneurship and social finance support the design and commercialization of RIH;
- To analyze the contribution of RIH to healthcare systems;
C. The institutionalization of RIH
- To examine how the design, financing and commercialization of RIH interface with existing policy mechanisms in the innovation pathway, including regulatory approval, health technology assessment, reimbursement and procurement.